Monday, February 24, 2014

Petra

Day three of Jordan: Petra! So Petra is a town in the south of Jordan which is site of all these ancient ruins that is a very famous place to go and see. It also cost about 60 bucks to get in for the day so my friends said they will skip this trip because they can go any time just living across the boarder. So off to Petra I went alone!!

I started the day by leaving and catching a bus at 6 AM!!! I hate mornings and normal not all there at this time but I head out to catch cab to the bus around 5:30 AM.  I thought the Muezzin was done for the morning call because the last one is normal at 5AM. So I just about wet my pants when he started again when I was walking in the dark!!!! I was alone in pitch black in an ally and he start off again! It truly was the freakiest thing ever lived though (might be exaggerting)!! I have been living in an Arab village for over a month now and I am used to the Muezzin but it was very weird to experience it in the dark alone in an Arab country.

So I took a video so you can all see how freaky it was!



I have no problem traveling alone and most of you know it really is the only way I have traveled in the past. I would say that I am the number one promoter of traveling alone but this time I would not advise traveling alone. Traveling alone as a female in a Arab country was very hard for myself. I don't want to give the wrong idea at no point did I feel like someone was going to take me, kill me, or rape me but I sure didn't feel respect at any point (not sure its the right word for how I felt but its the best I could come up with). Once it became clear I was alone without a man it was non stop cat calls!! At first no problem but about five hours into it I had enough and head home. I would advise everyone to go and see Petra if they have the chance, even camping there would be amazing. Just make sure you are with a group or an Arab to reduce the problems.




 Another downside of traveling alone always selfies!!





1 comment: