So I have been thinking a lot lately about the differences between Israel Vets and American Vets. I will be the first to say that I do not support the war in the least bit!! But I know when I see a solider in public that person desivesrs the most rececpest that I can give. I also believe that I will be hard pressed to find someone who dose not agree. It is see in American that people whom serve in the armed forces are hero and should be honored. I am by no means disagreeing with this fact and I believe the longer I spend in Israel I value this more. This issue I am having is that here Vets are not viewed in the same light.
Once again I will start with a little lesson: every citizen of Israel must sever in the army, like a draft in America. So Israeli finish high school and start the army shortly after. The main difference here is that since everyone serves in the army or goes to jail that they don't view members of the armed forces as country heroes. To added gas onto this fire the Arabs really really don't see the israel armed forces in a high light. I truly understand why the Arabs have such a problem with Israel army but it is truly hard for me to hear them say it to people whom have severed in the army.
I believe that I am leftist person and that I truly don't support the war/soilder back in america. But, I have this problem that everyone in my family has served/drafted into the armed forces. This background has created this view I have on the Men and Women who serve our country. This who view/ideal is throw out the window here!!!!! We spend hours talking about one Israel severing in the Army because they have no choice but to go. This is viewed as such a bad thing that these men/women went to the army to protect the country. It also breaks my heart to see the Israeli be hurt by the actions that there army has completed.
This blog has been kinda all over but I am not sure how to express what is happing here for Vets. This could be because I am bad with words but I think it is because of the different life style that people live here. Everyone in Israel seaver in the army or goes to jail no problem, but the question comes for later in life. What do you say to the Arab that you meet after your time in the army for the action that have happened. In America we fight wars and create victims, but we don't have to see these people. In Israel these kids are shipped off to the army and told to follow orders till they are 21, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I turely believe it is a shame that the Israeli people sometimes feel shame from serving in there army. At the same time I understand why they feel this shame and believe that they should feel this shame.
The moral that I am trying to make here is that Happy Vet day to every member of every country Armed forces. I what you to know that becoming a Soilder to serve your coutary is the Ulimate action. I also want to say that not matter what happen or whom the fight is with, the point is that you deceived to be honored because of you services.
PS. If you know any thing about Christianity you might have a good guess about what my next post will be about!!!
I agree with you on what you are saying about giving all soldiers honor and respect for what they do. Reading this though, I thought about how it hasn't always been this way in America. The public treated Vietnam vets terribly, men who had been drafted and came home to an unwelcoming society. People who serve are put in positions I cannot understand, and have to do things at times that it is hard for us to know about, but they do it for us and I will always respect that. Anywho I guess I had a rambling thought on your thoughts.
ReplyDelete