Sunday, October 27, 2013

Giving this Blog Idea A Try

I figured since I am getting sick of retyping my stories of Israel to all of you I would try a blog. You all will have to bear with my spelling and grammar but what can I do!!

So I got here on the first of October and boy did I have no clue what I was getting into!! After spending roughly 17 hours at the airport I got onto the bus with some of the Arava students and we started the 4 hour ride to Kibbutz Ketura. After about 2 hours on the bus we were stopped at the dead sea for a check point. A check point is a place were the Israeli government stop you and make sure that you are allowed in the area. After these soldiers (which by the way looked like they were 16 years old!!!)  came on the bus and looked at everyone visa we found out that we were not allowed into this section of road for who knows why. So we turned the bus around and went back to were we started and turned the 4 hour ride into a 9 hour bus ride!! Just what we all need after long travels to Israel.

After we arrived to the Kibbutz we were given are dorm rooms assignments and I lucked out because I got my own room (from what we saw if you were older you got your own room so score on being one of the oldest). I share a flat with three other girls 2 Israelis and 1 Arab Israelis and they are all great girls!!

We then spent the first week getting to know each here at the institute which is made up of 9 Americans, 8 Israelis, and 8 Arabs and trust me I know how strange it sounds. Within the first week I learned very fast that here in the middle east most people are talked about by there nationality or region verse by any thing else. I also learned that Americas are WAY WAY TO P.C. and the Israelis love to say the N-word around me because I won't say it. Durning this time we took some tours of other Kibbutz in the area and learned about what are daily lives will be like here at Kibbutz Ketura. If you don't know what a Kibbutz is don't worry I didn't either until I got here!!! I guess know one thought to tell me it was a term not a city in Israel!!! So feel free to wikipedia the term Kibbutz and read up on what they are. Also you can read on wikipedia about Kibbutz Ketura were I am living now.

No comments:

Post a Comment