Monday, October 28, 2013

First Adventure Outside the Kibbutz Gates

After the first week of intense nonstop togetherness we had at the kibbutz some of use headed south to Eilat for the day. To start this story I think its important that non-Jewish people understand the different week structure that is followed here. The week begins for us on Sunday and runs though Thursday, this is so Shabbat can be observed. Shabbat is the Jewish day of rest and by no means do I fully understand what is the meaning of Shabbat, but I do know that buses don't run after 3pm. Also that I need to keep my cell phone in my bedroom. So we headed down to Eilat on Friday morning knowing that the last bus ran at 3pm but no big deal. We got to Eilat around Noon and did some shopping for basic needs that we can not get on the Kibbutz. After the shopping we hit the beach!!!!! I can check off one more sea that I have been to the Red Sea!



So after the time at the beach and the Red Sea was cold so swimming was pretty short it was time to catch the last bus. At this point there was six of us in Eilat that need to take the bus but one person observes Shabbat so not all of use had to take the bus back. So some of us stayed behind to do some more shopping and sitting on the beach.



After about two hours it was time to start heading back to the Kibbutz and when in Israel do what the Israelis do HITCHHIKE!!!!!!! Yes to all the Americans out there I have hitchhike and boy was it so much nicer then the bus. I will most like never take the bus again. So believe it or not but the man who pick myself and two students up was from Colorado! He was an Israeli who lives and work in Colorado and just back for the month to visit his family. While talking to him I found out that he use to be a Scuba diver guide and was spending most of his time in Israel going diving. This then lead to a kinda first date to Scuba diving for Free for me. Best deal ever to come out of hitchhiking if you ask me. It was SO SO NEAT to go diving and to see Nemo and all his best friends in the sea. We also saw an Eel which was out on the sea floor so we saw the whole body not just the head. After we went diving we went back to dolphin cove were dolphins are free to come and go at free will but swim right up to these landing you stand on. To say the least my first adventure outside the safe walls (yes there is actually a fence around the Kibbutz) of the Kibbutz turned into a once in a lifetime opportunity for me!!






1 comment:

  1. YOU GOT TO SEE DOLPHINS?! I AM SO JEALOUS!

    You are the only person I know who could turn hitchhiking into a date. Good grief.

    ReplyDelete