After two full weeks at the institute most of my new Israeli friends were ready to go home and see there families. I know that it is such a Hollywood idea that Jewish kids have overbearing families but it is actually true. Almost all the Jewish students talk to there families everyday this is including there siblings. It seems like so much work to me since I have only talk to my mother once since I have been here. So I had two choices on my hands to stay at the institute with the Americans or go home with one of my new Israeli friends. Thursday rolled around and off I went to meet my friend Dor family in Ometz for Shabbat dinner/weekend. Here is were I learned that all the years of manners training I went though in America would fail me. Thanks A lot MOM!! In Israel the people are very forward to the point of being rude but in a nice way. They would never say something like: would you mind or what did you think about the meal. They say: Do this now, Go already, Yalla, Just do it! Or they might say you want more? Why not you didn't like? So when you don't say things in a direct way it comes across as being rude. Which goes against everything I know (when being a guest, for the people who know me I am very direct). I ending up spending the whole weekend being the best guest I know how and ended up being the worst guest ever! O well his friends were great and his family said in the end I could come back anytime so I am going to try being an Israelis house guest again soon.
After the weekend with Dor's family we were off to the holy city of Jerusalem for a class trip. We went to the old city and saw all the different parts based on the different regions. We also had the chance to hear Reuven Abergil (Former leader of Black Panther Israel) and Professor Meron Benvenisti (Former Mayor of Jerusalem) speak which was just amazing to hear! The trip was apart of the Peace building class done here at the Institute so I don't have much to say about the trip because it is not my place to share other classmates stories from the trip. The one thing I did learn was I have never in my life been in such a racist setting and I hope it will never happen again. But, the way things are looking the racism has only began.
Photos from the old city:
Western Wall
Jesus Tomb
The Center of the World
My Friend Dor
Israelis family love
No comments:
Post a Comment