I had a hard time this week trying to figure out what I wanted to blog about. Up to this point I felt like my stories have been over the top and this week was very clam. We had Halloween on the kibbutz and everyone picked on the Americans for this crazy holiday. So I was thinking that I would talk about life on Kibbutz Ketura even though earlier I post that you would wikipedia (Israel/Arabs say Vicky Paydea).
So lets start with what is a Kibbutz? A Kibbutz is an area which is collective community in Israel. Yes this means a Kibbutz is mainly a Socialist community. Everyone works together to make sure the Kibbutz makes money and continues to maintain this set lifestyle. This does not mean that you can just pack up and move on to a Kibbutz. There is a process/application which one need to go though to become a member of a Kibbutz. Yes it is like a gym you are becoming an apart of a Kibbutz you join as a member other wise you are an outsider. Being a member means that you have to work on/with the Kibbutz to make money, help clean, and take care of one another. There are different kinds of Kibbutz with different beliefs and some are becoming private. All Kibbutz are different but the main goal is equality.
I live on Kibbutz Ketura which is located about 40 Km North of Eilat and about 10 Km from Jordan. Kibbutz Ketura was founded 40 years about by a group of Americans and it about 7 Km^2 in area. I believe there are about 140 members on the Kibbutz but I don't really know for sure. There are more then 170 people that live here and there is a kind high archery in place. The highest people being the member of the Kibbutz this means that you are able to use all of the Kibbutz and live in one of the Kibbutz house. A member also has a job on/set by the Kibbutz and the wage is set by the size of your family. Kibbutz members also have more then just a job they also have Toranut some where on the Kibbutz. So a member that I know is a teacher/PhD but her Toranut is to wash the cows in the morning. The main point is that members are equal and all take part to ensure the Kibbutz makes money. Within the member there are different sections: bachelors, young marries adults, young families, families and older adults. All there people live and work on the Kibbutz.
Next in the high archery is permeant residents of the Kibbutz. These are people who are not members but have a house/permanent home on the Kibbutz. These people are usually married to a member or work for the Kibbutz. Next is the Volunteers which are Jewish people who have come to Israel to spend time volunteering. They work odd jobs such as kitchen, Landry, and maintaince around the Kibbutz. Then there is the Garin which are Israelis doing a year of service before going to the army. These kids help out like the Volunteers but they also have army training like ROTC. Next are the Mohona which is what I am. Mohona stand for institute which includes students and intern. Last are guest to the Kibbutz, these are people who come on tour/visits. The last two have the lowest standing with in the Kibbutz we are unable to use all part of the Kibbutz and are kept further away from the main area of the Kibbutz.
Here on Kibbutz Ketura they have four main ways which they make money. First is the Mohona and the students which come here to study. Second is an Alge factory where they produce alge that is used to make fish food. Third is Refit (Dairy Farm) and last is gardening. These four areas produce an income for the Kibbutz members and Kibbutz budget.
Kibbutz Ketura is not considered a religious Kibbutz but they are Kosher and observe Shabbat. This doesn't mean that all the member in there home observe these practices it just means that in public places everyone observes. The main part of this is remembering to not use my cell phone or electric doors on shabbat. Shabbat includes Friday night dinner and special lunch on Saturday for Kibbutz dinning. Dinning on the Kibbutz is a lot like dorms in colleges, we have set hours were you can go eat each meal.
I am not sure what else to say about what a Kibbutz is but life here is very slow and easy going. Everyone just takes life at there own pace and enjoys every moment they can. I never thought I would be living in a Socialist community in my life. Let alone really enjoying the life style of the Kibbutznik!!!!!
Thanks for writing this! I did wikipedia it, but you explained better. What a different way of life! Do you not have to do any 'community chores'? What do members have access to that others don't?
ReplyDeleteYea we have dinning room Toranuts. members have a gym, can use cars, and just other general services.
ReplyDelete